3. cut a 5x5'' square pocket out of canvas material. sew 1/4" seam down the top of pocket. pin to the middle of one rectanctangle and sew down, leaving top open.
4. fold down top of each rectangle by 1/2 " and sew down to form and opening which will encase the drawstring eventually.
5. cut 2: 3 1/8 x 19 1/4" pieces of canvas or other neutral color for the straps. fold these in half and sew along the opening, as well as along the fold. add these straps to the rectangle with no pocket, folding over top edges and sewing onto canvas in a rectangle shape to secure strength.
6. drawstring: cut 2: 31 x 1" pieces of patterened fabric. fold in half and sew down to flatten. sew two pieces together.
7. with canvas regtangle pieces facing eachother, sew together...making sure to not sew the straps into this process. turn right side out and shimmy that drawstring on through.
*notes: i would maybe use a lighter weight than the canvas i used as it was hard to pull the backpack's drawsting tight. and the words i stamped on the outside are a french term of endearment meaning 'little cabbage'. wish i would have embroidered them but was delierious and tired at the time. next time, perhaps.